Location: Fort Devens, MA
- Petroleum stain observed on grass within firing range/training area.
- Suspected release from Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT) or from unknown
- Underground Storage Tank (UST), crushed by weight of HEMTT.
- Former radar array area and associated buildings.
- Fuel oil impacts to soil and groundwater. Light Non-Aqueous Phase Liquid (LNAPL) on groundwater around UST.
- Removal of soil, UST, petroleum, impacted groundwater.
Services provided by OHI
- Responded to range to investigate recent spill of petroleum.
- Reviewed historical aerial photographs and maps. Interviewed Army personnel regarding past uses and potential sources.
- Coordinated with MassDEP and Army personnel to report release and obtain Immediate Response Action (IRA) approvals.
- Excavated petroleum impacted soil, uncovered fuel oil underground storage tank. Stabilized site conditions by removing contents of tank. Prepared remediation plan to include IRA Plan, UST removal, monitoring well installation, soil and groundwater sampling. Light Non-Aqueous Phase Liquid (LNAPL) removal, soil excavation, and groundwater pumping.